Good, Bad & the Ugly

Well, after a few weeks trying to eat somewhat healthier and watching points, I have tried quite a few foods that are low in 'points.'

Guiltless Gourmet corn chips
Really good!
Great to crush to top a salad or chicken tortilla soup with!
Expensive (and so is everything on this list :(
Can't hold a candle to good ole Doritos

Quaker High fiber oatmeal
This is delicious! Especially if you add half a chopped apple. At 3 points, breakfast doesn't get any better than this :)

Propel
I've always been a fan & of course now more than ever!

WW SmartOnes TV dinners
Not good to me. I mean I can eat them but would prefer not to.

Garden Harvest toasted Veggie Chips-BAD, unless you put a hunk of cheese on top (and then its no longer WW)

Chex Mix Turtle Cereal Bars are only 2pts and they are REALLY yummy and so sweet and caramel. How in the world they are only 2pts- don't know!

Fiber One Chocolate bars are just as good-just different and they weigh in at only 2pts as well.

Morningstar Veggie faux chicken nuggets are YUMMY and they are very low points -can't remember exact number. They were so yummy that I ventured to try another Morningstar product- their breakfast sausage. Do not go there! Horrible.

I've tried quite a few WW recipes and many were total busts. However, the Asian Lettuce Wraps and the Bacon & Swiss Quiche were tasty! I'll definitely add those to my repertoire!

Asian Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients
6 medium iceberg lettuce leaves (or leaves from another round, firm head of lettuce)
6 ounces chopped grill chicken
1 cup sliced water chestnuts, canned, drained & chopped
1 cup bean sprouts
3/4 cup shiitake mushroom, chopped
1/2 cup scallion, chopped
2 tablespoons light soy sauce (or low sodium)
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (not packed)
2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian foods aisle)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions
1To prepare sauce: combine soy sauce, sugar, chili garlic sauce and oil in a small dish. Mix well and set aside.
2Bring a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Place all ingredients, except for the scallions and lettuce leaves, into the pot. Add the sauce and stir. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
3Add scallions, cook for 1 minute more, and remove from heat.
4Divide mixture evenly among the 6 lettuce "cups" and enjoy 'em wrap-style (fold 'n chew!).

Don't shy away from this b/c you don't recognize some of the ingredients! It is so yummy!! (almost as good as PF Changs)

I'll try to dig up the quiche recipe and post it later. I cannot find it right now. Also, I'll keep wasting money on the bad to find the good in low cal foods :O. Then, I'll report back!


Comments

Molly said…
Thanks for the tips. After our beach trip last week, I will be hitting WW hard starting tomorrow. :(
Loved the lettuce wraps! They will be a new favorite recipe for sure.
Keep these food ideas and recipes coming. Josh and I are trying to eat healthier.